Monday, September 17, 2007

U.S. to issue report in autumn on Mass. wind project...

Congress has made plans to build a farm of wind turbine generators off the coast of Massachusetts. This plan is raising quite a bit of controversy with environmentalists, fishermen, and boat captains. Taken from an article in the Environmental News Network, Congress has put the Minerals Management Service in charge of producing a draft of the environmental impact statement on the wind power project. I believe that the public will have a negative reaction to the statement. I don't think there could be enough benefit associated with building the wind farm. The ecologic affect of building a structure like this in the middle of the ocean could be detrimental, not only to the wildlife but to the sailors as well. The residents shouldn't be bothered by the site of the turbines, it is inevitable that we are going to use alternative energy sources. I wonder if building the farm on the edge of a cliff over-looking the ocean would be less harmful on the environment.
Yesterday, I went grocery shopping with my canvas bags as I always do in order to cut back on the amount of plastic that is produced. Also, my girlfriend went out and bought energy-saving light bulbs and switched out every light in our apartment. Lastly, I haven't had to put gas in my car since class started because I've been riding my bike so often.
CHEERS.
Jason

No comments: